Full time, No Weekends
Our client is a 124-bed ,For Profit facility, is Loudoun County's first new hospital in 100 years.
The Director of Surgical Services Department leads the perioperative team by focusing on safe patient care while effectively managing operations. The Director Surgical Services has 24/7 responsibility for their departments.
• Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
• Actively participates in service, departmental and hospital wide committees as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents.
• Advances the customer experience in Surgical Services.
• Coaches subordinates providing feedback; constructive critique of work; facilitates individual development plan; and documents their job performance.
• Adheres to all Human Resource policies.
• Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
• Facilitates evidence based employee engagement practices.
• Effectively builds strong relationships and networks to deliver upon organizational and department goals.
• Participate in employee and patient rounding. Identifies and mentor potential future leaders
• Enforces standards of care for surgical services and develops processes to measure and ensure consistent compliance.
• Develops, implements, and evaluates an ongoing surgical services program which assures quality patient care consistent with the Hospital mission.
• Monitors compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy, environmental, patient, and personnel safety
• Oversees a PI program that consistently monitors and evaluates critical aspects of care.
• Responsible for department’s operational excellence by ensuring delivery of quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards.
• Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Blood borne and Airborne Pathogens.
• Enforces safe procedural site and patient verification policy
• Monitors and responds to quality event reporting
• Supports new program strategies and/or program enhancements which would expand patient services.
• Develops, prioritizes and defends a capital equipment requests.
• Is responsible for the fiscal management of department; assures proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
• Advances the growth agenda for Surgical Services.
• Strives to become the OR of Choice for physicians, patients, staff, and payers in the community they serve
• Demonstrates a poised and confident demeanor that reassures others and commands respect within the organization and the community.
• Develops and builds strategic internal and external networks.
Supports HCA by:
• Promoting consistent positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service
• Practicing and adhering to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
• Performing other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
•Bachelor's degree Required; Master's degree MHA, MSN, MBA, or related field Preferred
•3+ years of experience in Surgical Services, preferably OR nursing Required
•3+ years of experience in a leadership role Preferred
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
•Currently licensed as a registered professional nurse in the state in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation Required
•Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) Preferred
•Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) Preferred
- Run 5 rooms. 4 OR and 1 cysto & endo.
- 2 + years old facilty. Beautiful building
- Exponential growth. 3 OR teams and recruiting for 4th now.
- The former director has the OR in the best place it has ever been
- Former Director had to retire
- Had another spine surgeon coming there
- Also had a joint surgeon who is extremely busy at competitor bringing 50% book of business to them
- Ortho program is about to really take off.
- Would be really good to get someone with good ortho experience
- Needs to have experience how to manage an escalating surgical volume & plan to staff to that. Heavy robotics
- Average 8-10 surgeries/day. Volume has changed though with new surgeons coming on. Pre-COVID
- Huge robotics 2 XIs – claim to fame. Epicenter for robotics for hernias.
- Brings observers from across country. Several surgeons lined up to come.
- 90% Outpatient; 10% Inpatient. About 50% of all volume do there is robotics. Will be changing as Ortho gets ramped up
- All surgeons are splitters & work at multiple hospitals. That is going to be very important as do our search. Physician relationships.
-Have a Clinical coordinator in the OR that came from Reston. Very strong. Going to be a great interim.
- Team does a lot of call. Doing alto with Reston and adding PRNs
-L&D and OR are focus because of growing service lines
- Resource coordinator and top notch scheduler. Former Director brought a lot of stability
-Physicians love us. – due to personable interactions of executive team – daily contact.
- Much emphasis on robotics. 60% of surgeries are robotics. Work hard to accommodate their needs
- Pleased with direct daily interactions. Changes staffing to meet surgeons’ needs.
Exciting Opportunity to be on the ground with new OR coming to life with service lines.
Compensation: $110K to $130K+ depending upon years of RN and leadership experience . Up to 15% annual performance incentive. Relocation assistance available on a case-by-case basis.