Our client, a large busy hospital located about an hour from Charlotte, NC, has a need for a Lab Director to join their team. Candidates MUST have HOSPITAL Lab management experience.
Directs the department's activities and resources to achieve departmental and organizational objectives. Manages staff in a way to produce a positive culture and work environment. Ensures that all proper regulatory compliance is being met within the department. Effectively works with other departments to achieve organizational success.
- Develops and implements departmental goals, plans, and standards consistent with the clinical,
- administrative, legal, and ethical requirements/objectives of the organization.
- Directs and evaluates departmental operations, including patient care delivery, information technologies, billing and CDM maintenance, service level determination, and complaint management, to achieve performance and quality control objectives.
- Plans and monitors staffing activities, including hiring, orienting, evaluating, disciplinary actions, scheduling, competency assessments and continuing education initiatives.
- Interacts with senior leadership to prepare, monitor, and evaluate departmental budget and ensures that the department operates in compliance with allocated funding. Coordinates and directs internal/external audits.
- Creates and fosters an environment that encourages professional growth. Coordinates training of phlebotomy and lab technician interns from affiliated educational institutions.
- Integrates evidence-based practices into operations and clinical protocols.
- Planning, organizing and directing the overall operation of the Laboratory Department.
- Uses knowledge of chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic tests performed in the laboratory to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Ensure that services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are carried out in an expeditious, timely manner.
- Recognize results or problems that require referral to the Pathologist, assuring competency of all personnel, formulating the budget for the department, maintaining performance improvement activities within the department and participating in QA activities and maintaining efficient and effective departmental operations in compliance with all state, federal and local regulatory law, standards and protocols, in particular to maintain compliance with federal CLIA regulations.
- Performs or delegates the duties of the various lab personnel in their absence.
- Performs annual Proficiency Testing Review and Joint Commission FSA to ensure perpetual readiness.
- Coordinates the ordering of supplies and approves all purchase requests. Effectively evaluates new equipment needs, gathers information, quotes and coordinates purchase as well as preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment, interfaces; responsible for lab contracts for equipment and services.
- Maintains, evaluates and updates as needed the Laboratory Chargemaster (CDM) for both in-house testing and testing sent to Reference Labs at least annually. Evaluates CPT/HCPCS coding changes annually so as to keep CDM current up to date.
Bachelor's Degree required
Master's Degree in related field preferred
ASCP Certification required (within 6 months of hire or transfer into position)
Minimum Work Experience
Minimum 5 years Lab experience (preferably in an acute setting).
Minimum 3 years management experience preferred.
An “All- America City” and recognized as a “Most Livable Place to Live,” this area is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and boasts a long history of craftsmanship, being renowned as one of the top producing furniture communities in the nation. The region is dotted with quaint downtowns that boast shopping, dining and recreation options, as well as a growing number of vineyards. Schools are well regarded and educational opportunities include Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory, with Appalachian State University and Wake Forest University nearby. The local arts scene is supported by organizations like their Museum of Art, the Western Piedmont Symphony and the Choral Society, and millions are being invested to create greenspaces – including a Riverwalk – for residents and visitors alike to enjoy. This vibrant region near the mountains offers close proximity to a number of cities in North Carolina, and a wealth of recreational opportunities. The temperate climate makes outdoor recreational destinations like Lake Hickory and the Blue Ridge Mountains a joy.
Salary range is $84000—125000 plus up to a 10% bonus potential.