Director, Emergency Services-
Main ED and 2 local freestanding ED’s
Salary range: 125k-145k
Bonus eligible up to 15%
Sign on bonus
The Medical Center, a 351 licensed bed acute care facility hospital serves the community’s healthcare needs by providing compassionate, patient and family-centered care and some of the most advanced treatment options available in the Kansas City region. The Medical Center has a world-class medical staff with more than 600 physicians and over 2,000 dedicated, outstanding nurses and other staff that help us offer exceptional care to infants, children, teens and adults.
- Our hospital is the premier area destination for Women &Children’s healthcare services. We offer the region’s only Maternal Fetal Health Center that cares for women with the most complex pregnancies and their baby (or babies) under one roof. Our Level III NICU provides more care to premature and critically ill babies than any hospital in the area, and our Pediatric Center offers pediatric specialty care, a Pediatric ER, and pediatric inpatient services.
- Our Neonatal and Maternal Transport Teams are prepared 24/7 to safely deliver and care for premature or critically ill infants and care for mothers with high-risk pregnancies via ambulance and helicopter. This team gives access to our services to patients throughout the region.
- Some of the best cardiologists in Kansas City call the Medical Center home. Our physicians with Midwest Heart and Vascular Specialists are making advances in cardiac care. We are home to the Kansas City Heart Rhythm Institute, staffed by pioneers and leaders in electrophysiology who are influencing care at the national level. We also offer the only robotic-assisted cardiac cath lab in the state of Kansas where we perform the most complex cardiac interventions.
- Surgical programs at the Medical Center feature an outstanding surgical team utilizing advanced technology such as robotic surgical systems and robotic arm assisted joint replacement surgery, which offer better outcomes, shorter recovery and fewer complications. Key surgical specialties at The Medical Center include orthopedics, neurosurgery, complex general surgery, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, oncology surgery, gynecologic surgery, and pediatric surgery.
- The Medical Center’s ER is Johnson County’s only Level II Trauma Center. The hospital is also an Accredited Stoke and Chest Pain Center. We also offer care for pediatric emergencies and two freestanding ERs in Olathe and Shawnee.
The Director of Emergency Services Department assures service, growth, development, personnel management, and resource allocation and management controls in order to ensure consistent high-quality patient care in the Emergency Department.
Is there a Manager reporting to this Director: Yes
# ER beds (at each location) Main ED-24, FSED-10, FSED-10
# Annual ER visits: expect 42,000 ER visits across all three locations this year
# FTE's: When fully staffed: 75 regular + 21 PRN at Main ED and an additional 21 regular + 6 PRN at two remote EDs.
- Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
- Actively participates in service, departmental and hospital wide committees as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents.
- Advances the patient experience agenda in the Emergency Department.
- Coaches immediate subordinates providing feedback; constructive critique of work; facilitates individual development plan; and documents their job performance.
- Adheres to all Human Resource policies.
- Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
- Facilitates evidence based employee engagement practices.
- Effectively builds strong relationships and networks to deliver upon organizational and department goals.
- Participate in employee and patient rounding and identifies and mentors potential future leaders
- Enforces standards of emergency department care and develops processes to measure and ensure consistent compliance.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates an ongoing emergency services program which assures quality patient care consistent with the Hospital mission.
- Monitors compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy for patient services, and environmental and personnel safety.
- Oversees a PI program that consistently monitors and evaluates critical aspects of care.
- Is responsible for department’s operational excellence; ensures department delivers quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures and professional standards.
- Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Blood borne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Seeks new program strategies and/or program enhancements which would expand patient services.
- Develops, prioritizes and defends a capital equipment requests.
- Is responsible for the fiscal management of department; assures proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
- Advances the growth agenda for emergency services.
- Demonstrates a poised and confident demeanor that reassures others and commands respect within the organization and the community.
- Develops and builds strategic external networks.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in nursing required
- Master's degree MHA, MSN, MBA, or related field preferred
- 3+ years of experience in emergency services required3+ years of experience in a leadership role preferred or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
- Licensed as a registered professional nurse in the state in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation required
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course (ENPC) required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Behaviors:
- Knowledge of human resource management, program development, fiscal management skills, and familiarity with regulatory and accrediting agency standards preferred